Data from Community on Coyote Activity
Here are the latest reports, this data is only from the Tracking form, not from emails or posts.
Since I moved from the email system, to the form, its much easier to provide this information!
Thank you everyone for using the Tracking Form.
Here is the information we have received since the form went live.
These were not entered on the form, but comments sent to me and in the news.
Volunteers welcome to enter all this into our system!
- A dog was killed in Tustin http://www.ocregister.com/news/coyote-373645-coyotes-residents.html
- A pack of coyotes living in HB, we have the video on the website. http://www.coyotesinorangecounty.com/video-coyote-in-huntington-beach/
- A mom in HB is concerned and sees them wandering down their street and has young children
- Another person has potentially lost their dog to a coyote as its missing.
- Cat was killed 10/4 by large 65lb Coyote. Desperate HB resident going to try Wolf Urine as the killing continue in her area.
- Three coyotes snatched (dog was on a leash) and killed a small dog in Huntington Beach over the weekend (8/11/12), prompting residents to demand a better solution to the coyote problem from officials.
- KTLA reports that a couple was walking their dogs in the Huntington Beach Central Park nature reserve when the pack of wild animals grabbed one of the pups, killing it. The couple told the news station that no signs exist warning residents of the danger.
- A dog was killed an owner injured in Laguna Woods in July. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/07/coyote-attack-laguna-woods-.html
- A cat was killed August in Fountain Valley. They report At least 67 coyote sightings were reported in Fountain Valley from Jan. 1 through Thursday (10/4). Nearly half were concentrated in neighborhoods bordered by Warner and Talbert avenues and Newland and Bushard streets. http://www.ocregister.com/news/coyotes-373875-department-sightings.html
- Cypress coyote sighted 9/14 http://www.oc-breeze.com/2012/09/15/18665_early-morning-walker-spots-coyote-in-cypress/
Reports from Rossmoor Predator Management Team:
10/5/12: My mother saw a coyote jump into the storm drain yesterday around 6am near Lee, she said the coyote went under the street. Andrea
10/2/12: About 5 days ago, my friend was walking her 10 lbs small dog when a coyote crossed the street toward them. My friend yelled and shined a bright flash lite at it …it then crossed back away from them. This occurred at Foster and Shakespeare…A couple of people also spotted the coyote around Lee School…It was a big one…beware and have a plan if you are walking alone. This happen between 9-930 pm…FYI
Wild Animal Tracking Form (Data in our system! Yay!)
|Date Of Incident||Time of incident||Wild Animal||Type Of Incident||Animal or Person Involved?||City Of Incident||Zip||Comments (that you dont mind being public)||Entry Date|
|10/5/2012||6:15 AM||Coyote||Sighting||None||Huntington Beach||92647||I was watering the yard and saw the coyote walking down the sidewalk. He just continued to stroll down the street at a casual pace. Too close for comfort!! Now that I read they can lunge at people, I guess I won’t be outside trying to follow him next time. Sheesh||10/7/2012 13:02|
|10/6/2012||6:30 AM||Coyote||Sighting||None||Mission Viejo||92692||I saw 2 large coyotes walking down LaBarca near Ontur. One stopped and just stared at me. They finally turned and enter the greenbelt. I was very surprised how large and healthy they looked.||10/7/2012 12:28|
|10/2/2012||9:30 PM||Coyote||Killed||Cat||Laguna Niguel||92677||10/4/2012 7:34|
|10/3/2012||7:41 PM||Coyote||Sighting||None||Mission Viejo||92691||Coyote sighting, 10/3/2012, 7:41PM, corner of Alicia Parkway and Via Aurora, Mission Viejo.||10/3/2012 12:53|
|10/3/2012||Coyote||Killed||Cat||Huntington Beach||92646||10/3/2012 5:53|
|9/27/2012||7:04 AM||Coyote||Sighting||None||Huntington Beach||92646||I want to report this sighting but don’t know who to call! I have two small dogs in a very dog friendly neighborhood. There are also a lot of babies and small children around where I live.||9/27/2012 2:19|
|8/16/2012||2:00 AM||Coyote||Killed||Cat||Garden Grove||92843||Since they killed my cat they continue to hunt in my neighborhood. They are a threat to everyone and their pets. Animal control is of no assistance. Bad luck to any coyotes found in my yard.||9/23/2012 8:40|
|9/21/2012||1:30 AM||Coyote||Sighting||None||Huntington Beach||92646||Coyote runs through neighbor and is spotted multiple times throughout the week. We are not sure whether it is one coyote or multiple coyotes. Coyote seen early this morning and several times crossed Adams Avenue, which is a major street. We are afraid that this could lead to an accident and someone getting hurt.||9/21/2012 11:51|
|9/13/2012||Coyote||Killed||Cat||Newport Beach||92663||Coyote killed neighbor’s cat, then coyote hit by bus on Placentia and killed as running out of mobile park.||9/13/2012 2:57|
|8/23/2012||2:00 AM||Coyote||Killed||Cat||Newport Beach||Our beloved 11 year old cat was savagely attacked and eaten by coyotes in my front yard in the Westcliff area Thursday (8/23). Since her gruesome death I have discovered so many more of my friends and neighbors that have either lost pets to coyotes or have seen them blatantly walking down our residential streets. Keep your beloved pets inside at dusk so this terrible tragedy does not happen to your family!||8/27/2012 5:06|
|8/24/2012||7:00 AM||Coyote||Killed||Dog||Huntington Beach||92646||A 60 lb pit bull mix was killed this week in our neighborhood by two coyotes. A neighbor came out to get his newspaper and two coyotes were feasting on a large pit bull mix in the middle of Brentstone Street in the Huntington Landmark tract. This is extremely alarming as there have been numerous coyote sightings lately with the animals becoming more and more brazen.||8/26/2012 2:55|
|8/2/2012||Coyote||Sighting||None||Huntington Beach||92648||Two coyotes frequent and sometimes live in this field. We see them daily and can sometimes hear them hunting at night If you live anywhere in the Seagate/Seacliff area your pets are not safe.||8/15/2012 14:43|
|5/20/2012||5:30 AM||Coyote||Killed||Cat||Newport Beach||92663||8/11/2012 3:01|
|8/1/2012||Coyote||Sighting||Cat||San Juan Capistrano||92675||8/11/2012 2:38|
|8/1/2012||7:45 AM||Coyote||Sighting||None||92647||Coyote on top of the flood channel off of Graham in between Slater and Warner||8/10/2012 2:22|